Monday, August 6, 2007

The Badness Continues

Daily Breakdown

Starting Balance: -$6.25

In: $30

Out:
Coffee and Donuts: $3.25
Pot, Ice trays, Measuring cup: $3.25
Deodorant: $4.25
Soil: $3
Groceries: $32.50
Taxi: $25
Wine: $9
Mixers: $3.75

Balance: -$60.25

From the balance you can clearly see that I have been bad. But then again, maybe some people owe me money. Right? Here's the deal. On Saturday morning I awoke in need of coffee. I had a great evening of nature videos and video games. Ah, solitude. I'm lonely but having a good time. Still coffee in the A.M. was in order hence it was off to Dunkin Donuts. What America apparently runs on. Though I bet if you asked most Americans they would tell you that they run on asphalt.
A friend of mine decided to join me from Italy. She was very sweet to put up with all the heat that NYC had decided to put out this weekend. My apartment was hot beyond sleeping but also hot beyond moving, so you had to exist in this paralytic state that involved close proximity to the air conditioner.

But I had to show her the neighborhood and see some sights while we were at it. This weekend had a street festival to offer her. I felt like I was walking her through a Sopranos episode only with Puerto Ricans rather than Italians. We went to the dollar store because my $3 mint plant needed a new home. I also wanted to make ice and measure liquids. Later I got soil for the mint plant so the whole thing ended up at more like $8. But for that eight I've got an unlimited supply of minty joy.

My friend bought me vegetables and scotch in exchange for giving her a place to stay. Not that I minded. Still I had to buy some more groceries to round it all out. I like food. And I need deodorant, can't be smelly. Well you shouldn't be offensively smelly. I had party plans with others and so I dragged my friend along. But the long and skinny of it was we had to get a cab home, but whatever number the host offered me wasn't a cab but a car service.

When I stepped to the curb, I had one extremely drunken friend in tow and the friend who was staying. So I looked at the car and realized I had to enter into negotiations. I knew that a ride from queens to my place was around $18 and a cab from my friends house to mine was about $17. So being a little buzzed myself I shrewdly negotiated a price of $50 to get us to my friend's place in Chelsea and then back to El Barrio. Way to go, Paul. But I told the car service that was all he would get and not to expect a tip. He nodded I asked my company if they agreed and they did. Of course in retrospect I realize that cabs in Italy, where my friend is visiting from, are far more expensive than NYC cabs, so she wasn't reliable, but hey she's making Euros so she can throw money around. Long story short we got to my hood around 3. My friend wanted to go somewhere else and smoke and have a drink and we were graciously welcomed into Dexy's on 112th an 2nd. Go there.

Sunday I had a good friend stop by while the other one absconded to a hotel. I fixed some dinner and had to buy a bit of vino. Then today, after the good friend left, my friend from Italy returned and was interested in drinking the duty free scotch she had bought. So I poured the dimple but had to go downstairs to grab a mixer or three. After watching the movie "Closer" and having a heated argument about it we are settling down to sleep. Yet I be heavy with the lack of funds. Meanwhile, I was a bit under the weather and didn't go to the Lauren Hill concert featured tonight. Bumsville. I wanted to do "that thing, that thing, that thyeyeyeng. Peace ya'll.

No comments: