Sunday, August 19, 2007

The Gotham Frugal Meets His Fan Base

Readers, I know you're out there. Google Analytics tells me that I've been viewed in some 15 countries and territories and that my most loyal viewers are stationed in Oklahoma, North Carolina, and of course New York City. But last night I had the pleasure of meeting a few of the faces behind the hits.

But first, Friday. I had all of Friday off. The morning consisted of some internetworking. Later I went to the gym to workout. Unfortunately I had lost my membership card and had to pay $5 for its replacement. Later in the evening I went out to visit my bartender friend who works near Union Square. Every New Yorker should have a friend who tends bar. I wasn't planning on staying out too long, and I thought I might enjoy a little wine at a point later down the line, so I dropped by Trader Joe's. To combine frugality with a touch (small touch) of class would be to invest a few dollars in the legendary Charles Shaw variety of vino. AKA Three Buck Chuck. So after $3.25 I stuffed the bottle in my bag and headed off to the bar. There I was able to have a few good drinks on the house and chat. But you can't leave your friend hanging, so the bar keep got $7. Later, for whatever reason I had to stop by the local bar near my house and chill with a Stella. $6.

Earlier in the week one of my loyal readers, Amy, invited me over to her place in Brooklyn for a Saturday kegger. Her treat. Free beer. Two words that make the heart go a little fluttery. The last time I'd been to a keg party had to have been well over a year ago. It was a fun group, though significantly intoxicated by the time I'd gotten there. My favorite part of the evening was when Amy would introduce me as "the ten-dollars-a-day guy." There were various moments of recognition. It was like I'd gotten a very small taste of celebrity status. And it tasted good. So thanks Amy, and thanks to the readers who enjoy the blog. You give me strength.

One of the remarkable things about this particular group was the high concentration of French speakers. But everyone speaks the universal language of "Whoohoo!" And with the keg tapped at 10:30 I think one could declare the party a fast success. So raise your plastic cups to the first annual "Leo McKegger."

After the keg party I got an invitation to join a few more friends for a drink in Manhattan. Unfortunately due to some poor attention on my part, I ended up walking about 7 avenues in the wrong direction. At one point somewhere around 10th Ave I was wedging myself through a group of late night partiers and I heard the most amazing little voice in my head. The voice said "Go back to New Jersey, you assholes." I was struck by the comment. When did I become such a jerk? When did I start to disregard the rest of the planet and accredit value to this small population? When did the sidewalks become my own personal dominion? Is this a sign of transformation? Have I become a New Yorker?

I hopped on the L train and made my way back to the Union Square to meet with my friends. They wanted to eat at Le Express. I had actually filled up on pizza at the kegger, but I ordered a beer. There we had a pleasant late night snack. They were kind enough to pay, seeing as how my recent birthday may have slipped out. I fell into a subway car and rolled back home, for some three buck Chuck and much needed REM sleep.

This morning I awoke with no plans in mind. The smell of the little greasy spoon crammed under my apartment was tormenting me as I tried to compose today's blog. I felt no desire to spend money or eat anything for that matter. Breakfast is a sort of pain in the butt for me. I don't wake up ravenous and I have a particular palate in the morning. Unfortunately, I never became one with the breakfast cereal culture. Try as I have. All of this was solved when my dear friend who keeps buying me dinner called me and asked if I wanted to join her for birthday brunch at Aquavit, a high class Scandinavian smorgasborg.

It was upscale so I put on my best business casual and arrived at a posh windowless place where we spent the morning eating different varieties of herring, drinking beer and coffee. It sounds like such an odd way to start the day but it all evened out in the end. It was quite a fabulous birthday gift and I left full and glad. Then we walked around Midtown. I liked having a long conversation at Rockefeller Square. Then we went to FAO Schwartz which is vaguely disturbing in that you can see the culture of distraction crystallize in one place. I basically spent a few hours walking by a bunch of stuff I don't really want. Which was interesting. Sidhartha used to laugh at hunger, I'm learning to laugh at commerce.


The Weekend Breakdown.

Starting Balance: -$119

In: $30

Out:
Gym Card: $5
Wine: $3.25
Tip: $7
Stella: $6

Balance -$110.25

1 comment:

amy said...

Thanks again for coming, all the way out to Brooklyn! It was great to see you, however briefly (and inebriatedly)! We should get together sober sometime soon. =D