Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Oh Brutality, Thy Name Is Gotham!

Yesterday, it was drinks with people whom share my office space. Today it was drinks with a person I've been sharing my home space. All I know is that next week will be a long one of no spending.

After work last night we went to Happy Hour. It was only moderately happy. Our waitress was unconcerned. She made no attempt to engage us as her customers and even less to service us in a manner that would've been acceptable, if not proper. Nothing gets me quite as much as bad service. Is it so hard to talk to the people in front of you? Shame on that waitress for treating us like drinking machines that she only need feed the right blend of potables, for by not acknowledging us as people, she also reduced herself to the level of automaton. Poor drink tossing robot, you get only measly monetary input.

After the Happy Hour which was really just a sort of "Thank-god-work-is-done-for-the-day" hour, I went home and stopped by the grocers to buy a few zucchinis. Back at mi casa, my guest was busily working on her resume. A great thing if you live in New York, but bad form form if you're visiting. One must go out into the city. Though with it being 104 degrees heat index, I don't blame her. So in the hot, hot apartment I boiled water for pasta and made a decent pasta dish. All the steam set a sweaty glisten upon everyone.

Later a couple of friends showed up with a Scrabble board. Crazed spelling and sangria drinking ensued. I don't know what the deal is with Sangria but it is becoming a feature in my life. I'm not even Spanish. I have to say one of the highlights was my spelling of the work "zonk." It was challenged, and poorly so, for "zonk" means "to stupefy" and my opponents were zonked at my use of the word. I won by a narrow margin.

The night ended followed by rain. And what a rain it was. It flooded all the subways, making morning travel impossible. I got to work more than 2 hours late. After work I had an interview for a second job. One of the stranger interviews I've ever had. I had to respond to scenarios, role play and then actually work. I left with a "We'll call you," but I'm sure I did fine and will get an offer. So that should bring in some extra dough. I must say I was a little uncomfortable when this relatively good looking young woman told me that she wanted to role play, and that it was her favorite part of the interview. I'm all about role playing myself but I like to get to know someone first.

After I got back to the Barrio, my visiting friend who was mysteriously gone called me. She wanted me to join her down town. Which I did. We hung out at the Blind Pig where a scantily clad young vixen offered us free drinks if we offered her and her friend a pick up line. I obliged of course. We ate some jalapeƱo poppers and dumplings. Neither all that spectacular. Still it cost and I must stop with the costs.

Here's what the last 2 days have been about:

Starting Balance: -$60.25

In: $20

Out:
Happy Hour: $8
Zucchinis: $1
Blind Pig: $15
Gum: $1.25

Balance: -$65.50

No comments: