Thursday, August 16, 2007

Older, Happier, Less Productive

Yesterday marked a day of reprieve for me. Having completed my most recent circle around the sun, my friends decided that I should put a possee together and eat sushi. So we did. My father promised to underwrite the event but thanks to the generosity of my friends I didn't have to pay. After there was dancing and whiskey. Are you noticing a trend with all this whiskey? There's a lot of it. Regardless, this artificial limit I've been setting was off limits.

But I had a good year. Moved to New York, wrote a novel, got a job, got an apartment and started a blog. Next year is looking up as well, I should clear out some credit debt and get a pay bump. It'll be great.

Today was tough. I was hung over and unproductive. No more drinking on the weekdays. I'm now sort of intentionally sweating it out in my unairconditioned living room. It's like my body is crying out all the abuse I've put it through. Today I opened the day with tamales. That seems like it happened last week. The pablano tamale is very tasty. I usually get the verde. The vendors in my neighborhood fish the tamales out of these big steel colanders grocery carts. You can spot them by their big beach umbrellas. It's so rustic and homey. In a New York way, not a Cracker Barrel way. I starved the rest of the day until I got home where I ordered some Chinese food.

I've been toying with my poetry again. I guess because I've been feeling romantic. Romantic feelings always help with the writing. It makes it seem less silly somehow. There's nothing that puts you on the edge like a potent mix of insecurity, wishful thinking, passion, and wonder. The sticky feeling of doubt and fear of disappointment makes sitting down and punching out a few lines of near nonsense logical by comparison. I think of that TV series "John From Cincinnati" (which HBO canceled) when John says, "Mitch Yost should get back in the game." Paul should get back in the game. Not just the writing game.


Breakdown

Starting Balance -$129.50

In: $20

Out:
Tamales: $2.50
Chinese: $7

Balance: -$119

No comments: