Monday, August 20, 2007

Tao Te Metro

The New York subway system is the largest subway in the world. It's spaghetti mix of colored vessels pumps millions of people all over the city every day, and can baffle tourists and New Yorkers alike. Every month my company takes $78 dollars out of my paycheck, before applying taxes, and buys me a 30-day pass, which provides unlimited access to the five boroughs. The pre-tax purchase saves me about 30 cents on the dollar, I think. But the ticket is the saddle by which I ride these gray beasts and I take pride in knowing their ways and moods, which are always evolving.

A few weeks ago the system flooded but then later came back on-line. The weekend schedules switch things up and the human factor is always throwing some sort of spanner in the works. Today, on the morning commute someone pulled the emergency break. There were bubbles of panic boiling. As the steam pipe incident and this weekend's Ground Zero fire prove, terrorism is never far from the mind. But despite that, I almost always blame any tardiness on my own late start.

To the outsider the process of boarding and riding may look like chaos. Since I moved here, I've seen the order of things and begun honing my route. In the morning I walk down to the down town end of the cars. Not only because these cars are a bit less crowded but also because they will end up at the Grand Central platform in a spot crucial to my subterranean route. When the train pulls in at 116th, I can size up the lead 3 cars through the scarred Plexiglas windows and choose which one is most likely to offer a seat. I prefer sitting because it's easier to read. And if you've got a good book, the ride goes by so quick you might even miss your stop.

In the evenings I have more of a choice. I can take the 6 uptown and have a longer, though less complicated ride, or I can take the 4 or 5 for a quick shot up to 86th where I can switch over. I even know what car to be in (third to last) and where in that car (near the rear door) to be for the quickest dash up the stairs at 86th to catch that 6 train. Again the human factor and the amount of crowding can interfere with this route science, but the subway is for sharing, that's what's most important. The subway is the fastest way around town, but a little knowledge can make it even faster. Readers, I'm sure many of you have more complicated routes, which offer several options. I'd love to hear about your route knowledge.

I paid $3 for peanut butter this morning to make my daily breakfast. And I left the apartment without lunch so I ended up buying halal. I actually got two tasty meals out of the Halal cart on 40th and 5th, paid $4.50. Those things are far superior to the hot dog carts. Though both meats are similarly mysterious.

Daily Breakdown

Starting Balance: -$110.25

In: $10

Out: $7.50

Balance: -$107.75

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I hate to be an uber-nerd, but New York City does not have the largest subway system in the world. It comes in second place, behind London's Tube, in terms of kilometres of track, and it comes in fifth place, behind Moscow, Tokyo, Seoul, and Mexico City, in terms of annual ridership. The oldest subway system in the world is London's, and the oldest system in the U.S. is Boston's.

This is why I don't have a boyfriend.