Saturday, October 27, 2007

Theater and the NaNoWriMo

Last Thursday night I was dragged to the theater. I'm a bit skeptical at times of plays and other theater performances. I've been in some pretty uncomfortable theater seats before, watching bad actors suffer through worse dialog so I had my doubts about some play called "The Chaos Theories."

But was actually quite an accomplished little engine of a play. Sort of a New York City mash up where several interesting and serious scenarios were played by out by the same actors in different roles. The actors often switched power roles going from emotional extremes of completely pathetic and helpless to tyrannically powerful. The most striking example of this was a woman who played a vagabond hanging outside the restaurant where the play took place. She later transformed into a Hollywood executive who had a talented writer by the balls, literally. The only part that didn't sit well with me was the fact that almost everyone in the play actually acknowledged the homeless lady. At one point I turned to a fellow playgoer and asked what city this was supposed to be. Everyone I know generally ignores the homeless and almost never gives them money. As a co-worker once put it, "Why encourage them?" Afterwards me and a few of my party went someplace to eat and I didn't have hardly any money. I was only able to lay down about $7 for my share. I owe you guys.

The weekend went pretty well, though I did nothing. I was sick on Friday night and had to skip a birthday party because of it. That night I just stocked up on food and have been sort of milking it ever since. I've found I'm getting quite adept at the ten dollars a day. I have almost 3 days of food in my fridge and I keep finding ways not to eat it.

On Monday I went to my first NaNoWriMo event. Every November a number of wackos decide that they are going to spend the next 30 days writing a 50,000 word novel. I did this last year and I loved it. So this year I'm going to do it again. Starting today I will be writing 1600+ words a day in a frenzy to finish another whole work of art. Lots of great novels are 50,000 words long like "The Great Gatsby," "Catcher In The Rye" and "Tom Sawyer." So I may be a bit more brief as I wage a campaign of words and combine it with my savings. But I'll add a counter of how many words I've written so far, so over the next 30 days you all can cheer me on.

The people who started this novel writing business got a hold of my name and they've started sending me emails. On Monday they promised me free pizza. So I showed up to a bar promptly at seven and sat down. It seemed like a good opportunity to meet people, but I wish I wasn't being so cheap because I gladly would have swallowed some liquid courage and engaged the other aspiring (attractive) writers. But I ended up making excruciating small talk with a couple of ladies at my table, one of who was too young and the other a bit too loud for me. The free pizza they promised was taking too long, so I left and made lentil soup at home while watching Heroes. Mmm. Lentil soup. Mmm. Heroes.

On Tuesday night, which seems like an impossibly long time ago, my second job had a staff meeting and they provided that free pizza I'd been trying to get. Ah what a meeting that was. I ate way too much pizza and felt a little ill afterwards, but it was free, what can a kid do.

Yesterday for Halloween, gomobo sent me more money so I jumped at that and got a $1 schwarma from Bread and Olive, quite tasty that. I stayed, wisely I think, away from the festivities, drinking cold beer in my living room while watching Dawn of the Dead. That was a good Halloween, complete with the irrational nightmares of zombie swarms attacking my bed.

So let's have a long awaited breakdown. Take a moment to marvel at the massive surplus I've somehow accrued.


Starting Balance: $5.50

IN: $80

OUT:

Thursday
Dinner after play: $7

Friday
Salt: $1.25
Groceries: $16

Saturday
Burger King: $3.25
Groceries: $7.50

Sunday
Dunkin Donuts: $3.50
Cilantro & Tomato: $1

Monday
$0

Tuesday
$0

Wednesday
Shwarma: $1
Groceries: $3.25

Thursday:
$0

Balance: $41.75

No comments: