Thursday, October 11, 2007

The World's Oldest Profession Never Gets Old

This is New York and if you are a Morlock like myself, you drag your pale hide every morning down into the bowels of earth and crowd in with the other Morlocks and go a little dead eyed for anywhere from 15 to 45 minutes only to repeat the process the next day. But there are many of us who agree better a pauper in the Emerald City than a player in Munchkinville. Yet for others, the entire point of Gotham is find the rich and powerful, get their lamprey like suckers into them and hang on for the rest of their sucky existence. Though the means by which one latches on vary, sex seems to be the most popular. (Sorry for the metaphor mash up).

This brings me to a recent blog entry by the authors of the fascinating read "Freakonomics." Here they feature a Craigslist ad where a "spectacularly beautiful" 25 year old woman asks for advice on how to land her a man who makes at least "$500K" a year. As she says, "$250K won't get me to Central Park West." I must say the whole thing was disheartening to me. I mean here I am, with my good friend Hamilton trying to bust through each day by not giving him away and some young woman ostensibly won't give a guy a shot unless he can lay a Cleavland on her every single day.

Then I read the response in which a man explained to the gold digger that her beauty, which was about all she seemed to be bringing to the table, is a depreciating asset, while money makers typically only make more money. One might also advise her to move to Silicon Valley. I myself have entertained notions of romancing a high powered executive lady and letting her shower me with pricey men's fashion and scrumptious meals that cost more than some countries' GDP. It's one of those New York/Cinderella fantasies. Wow, I just realized Cinderella was a gold digger.

But back to me, I may make the occasional big purchase, funding it through gifts and deciding it doesn't count towards this little exercise of mine, and my reasoning may be poster-board thin when it comes down to it, but trust me I do sweat spending more than $10 a day and I have passed on many, many purchases that I could afford and felt low about it, I've turned down invites out because I didn't want to go over my limit, and I wonder if I'll have any friends left when I'm done with this. Living on $10 a day in New York is a pain in the ass and everyone of my friends has basically told me to quit. By next week I'll be $2,000 dollars away from my goal and while most people would kill for a credit card balance of just $2000, I'm not done yet. But when I read about some piece of ass unabashedly letting it be known that she won't be giving it up unless a guy doesn't make more every day then I pay each month in rent, well, I feel like a chump. I know I shouldn't but I do.

Starting Balance: -$21

IN: $20

OUT:
Tomatoes: $0.75

Balance: -$1.75

2 comments:

Stella Lee said...

I wonder if the tomatoes you bought were for target practice on all the Spectacularly Beautifuls that sit cross-legged and coiffed, strategizing at Midtown bars.

Whatever the story is on the produce, I'm here to say don't you dare feel like a chump.

T. said...

Um...NY is expensive. Just move back to Wilmington :)