Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Red Dirt Rambling

Well pardners, this past weekend I traveled to Oklahoma City. There I became the proud godfather of my first nephew, Michael. I was dreading the flight home. In the past I've been met with delays, cancellations, and rerouting. But aside from an involuntary seating change the flights moved on schedule. Though I was set against doing so initially, I decided to have a beer and a couple of McDonald's cheeseburgers. At $9.25 this felt a little over priced.

But, the great thing about going home to your parents is that most things are gratis. I spent a good deal of time at the kitchen table, eating. There was lots of American fare: barbecue chicken, grilled cheese sandwiches, hamburgers and hot dogs, and pizza. Breakfasts featured Syrian bread, butter, eggs and jam. I drank tons of coffee and the occasional beer. Free food is indeed unbeatable.

The homestead was packed with critters at various times, my 18 month niece and her parents are living with my folks at home and she's quite a friendly one, she would often waddle to each person at any given gathering and say "Hi." Once she got an appropriate response she would move immediately to the next person in the room. Needless to say she was well received. My other nephew and niece would come around with their parents in the evenings. This would set off a crescendo of small voices and activity and often required a good deal of officiating and interactive play.

At the end of the trip I was offered money by my mother. I feel I'm a little old to be taking cash from Mom but after brief protestations I capitulated. I also got a few dollars from my grandmother, who always gives you cash in a conspiratorial manner. When you say goodbye to her, she gives you a big hug and then takes your hand in hers; there she's secreted a ten or twenty dollar bill. I pocket these without looking and count them later. With the proceeds of this trip I'm going to buy some face cleansers I've been putting off for a long time. You can't live in the Metro with going a touch Metrosexual.

All in all it was a great visit and I was sorry to leave. But the city calls and I felt good about being home. Unfortunately I don't feel good about my meager budget of $10 a day. On the bright side, I'm back in black. And after a $150 deficit that's a good thing. It's nearly the equivalent of going half a month with spending a dime.

Okie Breakdown:

Starting Balance: -$29.50

IN: $50

OUT:

Friday: Beer and Burgers: $9.25

Saturday: $0

Sunday: $0

Monday: PBR $1

Tuesday:
Peanut Butter and Bread: $5
Halal: $5

Balance: $0.25

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Whatever you do, don't buy Vichy's Bioderm facial cleanser. You don't like the smell of that stuff--remember? While most ladies leave behind the fetching smell of flowers and other romantic perfumes, making their hosts miss them terribly with every toss and turn on their pillows, you were pissed that I stank up your joint with my exfoliating facial toner.