Thursday, September 27, 2007

Shoestring Love

I had a conversation with my friend Jen this afternoon and I mentioned that one drawback of the Gotham Frugal is that I despair at the thought of dating. As I put it to my friend "What girl would want to hang out with a guy who can only spend ten dollars on a date?" Her pithy response: "THE girl." Right on.

Which got me thinking. I'm a creative guy. I can come up with a few ways to have fun and not spend a lot of money. So let's make some plans. I'd be going dutch with my date, of course.

Plan 1: Halal and High Art

This one is simple but day specific. For culture we go to the MOMA on free Fridays. After a good few hours of tooling around the greatest work that modern masters have to offer we hop across the street for some tasty halal, (falafel for the vegetarians) and chase that with an English lager from a nearby convenience store. Then, if the mood suits, a stroll through Central Park.

Total $15

Plan 2: Scenery and a Slice

I'm thinking about meeting at city hall, a walk across the Brooklyn Bridge, checking out a great view of downtown and then eating pizza on the other side at Grimaldi's, reputably the greatest pie in the five boroughs if not all the world. No worrying about the wait though because I'll call ahead for the pizza.

Total: $12-$19

Plan 3: Picnic in the Park

A cheap classic. One baguette, half pound o' brie, Charles Shaw, and one pear. She can bring what ever else she likes, salad would be great, some olives and peppers even better. I like how picnics like this can be a metaphor for dating. They both only work well if each party has something to bring.

Total: $15-$20

Plan 4: Dancing and Dogs

How about going to a free tango or salsa lesson together. Sometimes they let students stay on later for only a small fee. There could be lots of dancing. Afterwards there's always a papaya dog nearby. But she'd have to be some girl to consider anything even remotely romantic about a papaya dog. Heck, if I didn't blow all our money at the danceria I might even spring for that.

Total: $8-$20

So those are my plans for now. If you have some cheap date suggestions, please tell me about them. And if you're a lovely young lass looking to be treated well while not being treated at all, then send me a note. You too can have a little shoestring lovin.

And now for the Lloyd Dobbler breakdown.

Starting balance: -$49.50

In: $20 (two days)

Out: $0

Balance: -$29.50

Addendum: Turns out there is something romantic about Papaya King. The founder Gus Poulos only served fruit drinks at his store until he literally "fell" for a young German girl who introduced him to the frankfurter. And now we are blessed with the fruits (and dogs) of their union.