Sunday, September 23, 2007

Television, A Frugal's Best Friend

On Friday I told my co-worker that I would be watching movies and writing this weekend. I guess I got it half right. I got a text from a fellow Oklahoman to join her at a bar. As we know I try to avoid these places, but a body must get out from time to time. But before this, I landed at a rooftop joint with some co-workers, it was called the Library Bar. It was a nice open air bar. Cocktail waitresses in black dresses, little benches to sit on. I had one beer and I tipped. It cost me $9. New York.

Then I moved on down to the lower east side where I found a beer garden. It was good and crowded and though I arrived on time my companions didn't. I was close to leaving when my friend texted her imminent arrival. I stayed for a couple of large beers. I was a bit tipsy when leaving. When I got home I was hungry so I ordered some lo mien from across the street. I went to bed vowing not to spend anything else this weekend.

I managed to stay true to my word. On Saturday a couple of lady friends joined me to watch the BBC Nature documentary "Planet Earth." A fairly spectacular series. They brought cheap wine from Trader Joes, which is welcome in my house. After they left I joined my neighbors for an episode of Lost. The episode we watched last night was the one tracing the origins of Charlie's heroin addiction. I love Lost. What's really nutty about it though is watching the first season all over again. You know that all this crazy stuff is about to happen. Even more fun was listening to my neighbor try to guess what was going to happen. And I remember that I was still full of all sorts of crazy theories and how far off the mark they were. I mean, I don't even know if she had seen the smoke monster yet. That's hard to believe. She also handed me $20 because I've been hooking her up with free internet access via my wireless home network. I'm going to go ahead and plug it in to my balance.

Today I went to work at the newer job. It was a good time and I think I'll fit in fine. Tonight I watched Ken Burns documentary "The War." Two and a half hours is a long time to devote to one subject. It got to me and I thought the stories were interesting. But sometimes I wonder where Burns is going. Kinda meanders. Well let's meander into a breakdown.

Starting Balance: -$80.50

IN: $50

OUT
Friday:
Beers: $28
Chicken Lo Mein: $3.25

Saturday: $0

Sunday: $0


Balance: -$61.75

2 comments:

amy said...

Hm. Might have an idea who that Oklahoman is.

Unknown said...

hey, i made your blog! now im practically famous! but is it really necessary to say that i was late when you were an hour late for the ou/osu game, leaving me to fend for myself in a sports bar??? shenanigans.