Tuesday, September 11, 2007

A Trip Down Short-Term Memory Lane

With the month in review and much needed apologies taking up blog space I haven't had a chance to tell you what I've been up to lately. It feels like quite a lot. The last time you got a taste of daily life was last Friday and that was just a taste.

I spent Friday night making a big batch of stew, drinking wine and eating chocolate that I had accumulated during my dark frenzy of consumerism. It was a make up party with just me and my blog. Well Saturday I awoke with a renewed vigor. I went to work out early in the morning (10:30 AM) and then I came home and began pulling apart my cabinets. Well not the cabinets themselves really but the all the dishes, plastic shelving liners and goods were removed. See I've got a problem, a few of them, maybe dozens and they all have six legs. Roaches are common enough in New York, but they've been politely hiding up until recently. Now I spot the little assholes scurrying around and it makes me sad. I must be filthy. I must be a dirty pig incapable of keeping a drafty 30 year old apartment free of these little poopers. I mean that literally, incidentally. Just look up roaches and you'll realize they're rightfully unwelcome. All this cleaning required a detergent purchase. Speaking of unwelcome squatters, I was also watching the Sooners play football while all this was going on.

I got a call from a Canadian friend who was in town. Not my normal Canadian friend but another one, she's more Nova Scotia way. Her and her brother wanted me to meet in SOHO for the art parade, but between Sooners, and dishes, and the need to shower and eat I didn't get there until 5 and the parade was over. But we ducked in to some bookstores in the area, I had to grab some water for $1.50, should've gone tap. We later dropped into a Mexican place, Pequnios? maybe. I had a chorizo quesadea and filled up on chips and salsa, still I spent $8. I left my friends at the movie theater and went back uptown to watch some flicks and maybe finish that wine. I was sort of rerouted via phone and ended up visiting another friend until the small hours of the night. Ah, youth.

Sunday morning I returned to the gym, and after a peanut butter snack I headed out to participate in my first ever Meetup.com event. For those of my readers form whom reading my blog is the hippest internet related thing they do, Meetup.com is a site where folks can search for activities and find other like-minded/activity-oriented people. So if you want to have a cigar smoking club, you can arrange one at this site. I was interested in Ultimate! Ultimate! is just a cheesy name for a Frisbee based game (aka Ultimate Frisbee,) it's like basketball and football combined only less organized. It's a great excuse to run your hiney off. The group met in Central Park on The Great Hill. It was a friendly affair and I had a really great touchdown grab. Nothing quite like ditching your defender with a quick sprint and the slapping a round piece of plastic between your hands. That was probably the highlight of the weekend. I didn't stay too long though, I felt like I was about to collapse from heat stroke or old age. My legs continue to hurt. Afterwards I walked around the park. Went home, more work on the cabinets, cleaning takes time. Then I dropped by the grocery store for some rations, and I also grabbed a couple of beers for an evening of tennis and more cleaning.

Monday it was back to work. And that's all fine and good. We keep getting new people at work, it's like we're the non-profit that could. I had to go to work after work, for this new job where I'm being trained. But I forgot my corporate literature and that blew. Because then I had to run home and by the time I got it, I had 15 minutes to get 30 blocks. So I had to grab a cab. I paid 8 dollars for a ride to a job where after taxes I probably made $16. After work I wrestled with the internet/cable company who unnecessarily cut off my internet access. Hence no blog. But it was finally resolved, though now I have way more channels than I could ever need, want, or watch.

Today I bought halal at lunch and a couple of beers after work. I think it all shakes out in the end. I may not be cutting my red down, but I'm not adding to it either.

Breakdown.

Starting Balance: -$122.25

In: $40

Saturday:
Detergent: $3
Water: $1.50
Mexican: $8

Sunday:
Groceries: $7
Beer: $2

Monday:
Taxi: $8

Tuesday:
Halal: $4
Beer: $2

Balance: -$117.75

No comments: