Thursday, September 20, 2007

Careful What You Wish For

Today was one of those bummer days. I had to set out early today to fetch my daily bread from the grocery store. I also decided to pick up yeast. I'm thinking about making my own pizza dough. I was surprised to see 3 packets of yeast cost a quarter of my daily budget. So for my bread and the little critters to make my own bread and a few other sandwich fixings I went $0.75 over budget, all before 8:30 AM.

At work I was invited to go out to drinks afterwards and refused because of my ridiculous devotion to this thing I'm doing. I guess when you're in Condition Critical people flexibility isn't an option. If only our legislators were as strong as I am. We'd have a budget the world could envy and the dollar wouldn't be getting its ass kicked by something as stupid sounding as the "Euro." That's like getting beat up by a guy named "Shelby."

But discipline isn't fun and today I found myself overcome by wish thinking. I should go out and buy a ticket to the lottery. Then if I win, I can solve all my problems and pay all my debts. Not just the card. But I had heard bad things happen to lotto winners. So I googled away and found this article. Basically when you are suddenly the possessor of millions of dollars you are faced with a choice. Keep your friends and family, or keep your money. I guess money really does change people. I'd like to believe that if anyone close to me became a millionaire I would quietly sit back and wait for them to invite me to Barbados. Or offer to buy me an apartment, or hand me a Rolex watch. I think I would. It's really just like getting a hundred thousand dollar raise. That's not enough to live like Kayne. So I think I'll just keep a stiff upper lip, refuse invitations to nights out, and work that second job. It makes for more interesting writing.

Well actually, I would love to read a recent millionaire's blog. As I finish this a Mega Millions ad came on TV. Kismet?

Breakdown:

Starting Balance: -$79.75

In: $10

Out: $10.75

Balance: -$80.50

1 comment:

Unknown said...

For the first time in 30 years, the Canadian loonie has hit parity with the American dollar. I don't know if that means that we've caught up to you or if you've sunk to our level, but HA!