Monday, September 17, 2007

Stop and Smell the Poetic Irony

"They" say that when one door closes another one opens. On occasion "They" are right. The key is to make sure that you try one door before you slam the first.

Today I went into that godforsaken place I quit in order to sign "termination" papers. I guess the corporate world isn't done with you until they decide they are. Needless to say I'd built up some animosity towards the place and began to expect some sort of verbal exchange. But this didn't happen. When I arrived the manager told me that I needed to wait while one of the kids took shots. Shooting a basketball is one of the fun rewards that kids get at the end of a study session. There is a hoop in the center that they can throw the ball towards. But when the kids are too short or young or weak it is the coaches themselves that serve as the hoop, by holding their arms out in a loop for the ball to go in. I was impatient and excited to get this whole process over with. I've always interpreted the whole "You wait here." line as a power play. I unfortunately didn't take the time to appreciate that the manager was getting hit in the face by a ball as she made me wait. And that had I remained working there, I would be the one getting hit in the face. I signed the papers and got the heck out of dodge, assuring myself I would avoid the Upper East Side.

When I got home I opened my email and there was a invitation to come speak with another tutoring center whom I've worked for before, only at a different location. They pay better and I have less of a moral problem with them. So I'm going to talk to them tomorrow night. Funnily enough they are right across the street from the other center.

Today I didn't spend any money, well not yet.

Saturday
I found some PBR near the eggs I was shopping for at the grocery store. They needed a home.

Sunday
I did laundry for $5.

So let's do a Breakdown.

Starting Balance: -$111.75

In: $30

Saturday:
Coffee: $1.75
PBR & Eggs: $5.75

Sunday:
Laundry: $5

Monday
$0

Balance: -$94.25

1 comment:

T. said...

Are you pretty much a toothpick with clean clothes at this point?