Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Like a Freegan

Today I lived like a freegan and spent nothing. That's what freegans do. They are a combination of non-consumer/scavengers, who swear off a life of consumerism, hence the free. Cross it with non-animal byproduct eating term vegan and boom, freegan. But unlike vegans, freegans will eat flesh if they run across some good free flesh. Speaking of which, my landlady asked me tonight if I like fish. I said "I like fish." I had a big fish for dinner. Like a freegan. Sing it to the tune of the Maddona song.

I also worked my second job. Which fills me with disgust. It's just an academic skills factory where people pay people to do the kind of shit with their kids that they themselves should be doing. Only we do it with computers. And this constant hovering over kids encouraging them to push buttons. All of it slyly concealed franchise consumerism. Like McDonalds they sell learning centers and then distribute all their branded materials to the centers and parents. They offer cards as incentives and then the kids use the tickets to buy prizes. And everything from the incentive cards to the crappy, Chinese-made, skiball toys to the study materials that they pass out is branded with the center's name.

And the management, they fucking sell it all. They tell ten-year olds to go to school the next day and tell their friends how much fun they had at this click factory. The center gives out extra incentive cards if kids wear their branded t-shirt (which they bought with incentive cards). Turning kids into little walking billboards. And I have to be friendly and always smiling and they are giving me close to minimum wage. I have a Master's degree. Now what kind of message is that sending? Parents are paying good money to see that their kids go to college and attain a degree and perhaps an advanced degree and here in front of them is a person with an advanced degree getting paid next to minimum wage.

It just seems like some Stanford Economic Masters canidate's thesis. A money making cult built on the golden mantra of Education while its priests are the greatest example of the faith's innate fallacy.

Wow. I have to quit.


Breakdown:

Starting Balance: -$117.75

In: $10

Out: $0

Balance: -$107.75

2 comments:

Paul said...

I also realize that my blog is money obsessed and maybe I should go easier on capitalism and its byproducts. I am no saint after all.

amy said...

Like a freegan /
HEY! /
Cheap for the very first time /

Check out my music blog, now that you're humming that sweet tune:
http://amyvanvechtenmusicky.wordpress.com/