Monday, July 9, 2007

Free Furniture, No Interest, and Sangria Times

Well, it's a little past check in time and I've been at a bar, drinking. "How?" you may ask, well generous friends who happen to know generous bartenders is one asset I have acquired in my short time in the city.

Today I wanted to explain a bit about my credit card bill. You know, the one I'm trying to pay off. You see, I don't pay any interest on the current card. This is because credit cards often run promotional rates that are nil for the first twelve months. Almost all banks in the credit card business do this. They offer you an easy year, expecting you to go hog wild and leave them with a heap of owed money that they can then rape you with using interest. But banks are egotistical enough to believe that there is no competition. To prove my point, I have on at least two occasions, called my previous credit card company and asked them to drop my interest rates to zero. My thought process was, "Hey, I've been with you for years, I'm just asking for a twelve month suspension of interest charges. Every time I log on to your account, you're offering every johnny-come-lately a no-interest special. I've been with you for years, why not offer the same deal to a friend rather than a stranger?" I've tried this tactic a few times, the most I ever got was a few points reduced on my over all interest rate, which may help you if you don't feel like switching cards. Keep in mind that switching cards can affect the quality of your credit rating, an important number when you want to take out loans or buy a car. Needless to say, I've transfered my balance to a bank offering no interest for 12 months, and, much to their chagrin, I plan on paying it off on time. If you have some spare time, I highly recommend wrestling with your credit card company over the same issue. Explain to them that you could easily switch over to a no interest account and that they should give you the same deal or lose a client. It doesn't work well at all. But it's fun to listen to phone clones stutter.

Today I had the most marvelous piece of luck. I went to my super to ask if she had a vacuum cleaner I could borrow. The answer was, as always, long, complicated, and totally my fault. In this case the problem was that I didn't ask four days ago. Apparently there was a brand new vacuum cleaner available because a tenant recently vacated their apartment and left nearly everything behind. I was led upstairs to an almost fully furnished room and told that I could have what ever was there. By simply inquiring, I managed to snag a book shelf, a coffee table, and an entertainment center. My apartment is beginning to look practically respectable. Lamenting my loss of the vacuum cleaner the landlady said, "I put it out on the sidewalk and a half an hour later, that shit was gone," The last word was accompanied by a dramatic spreading of the narrator's arms. You'd think that vacuum cleaner was gold, the way she fussed. I love my super. How many New Yorkers can say that?

After installing the new furniture and cooking a lentil/barley soup, (for which I had to buy a $2 bag of onions) I got a call from a friend urging me to come down to Union Square. Fortunately, she understands that I am now THE Gotham Frugal and offered to buy, so I got down there to get fairly buzzed off of some strong sangria.

Eventually I made it home, desperate as always to bring you...

THE DAILY BREAKDOWN

Starting balance $3.25

IN : $10

OUT:
Onions: $2

Ending balance $11.25

4 comments:

Unknown said...

This is getting good. I'm going to do several things you're doing. I will switch my credit card. And I will start a blog.

Paul said...

You definitely should. You save a bundle. Do a search for "best credit cards" or something to that effect. There are sites that list all the going offers and conditions. Choose one with low interest that won't nail you to the wall when rates do kick in.

There was an NPR bit about the ethics of balance transfers a long time ago. But I never forgot it. http://www.npr.org/programs/atc/ethicist/index.html
Look for the September 14th, 2003 program.

K. said...

That was in fact some strong sangria. Good luck finding cheaper onions.

Anonymous said...

i'm checking out my credit card situation now, grace a ton avis.

and if you keep writing like this... well, let's just say you've got a reader. :)

-aimes