Saturday, July 21, 2007

"They Got Money for Wars, But Can't Feed the Poor."

I've decided that I'm going to start the "Congressional Food Stamp Challenge" a day earlier than planned. I figure starting on Sunday will give me time to prepare some dishes for the week. And next weekend I can celebrate by going to Katz Deli or something.

My ambition with this thing was to make it look easy. To impress everyone with my thrifty ways and let them marvel at how well I can stretch a dollar. But my naive arrogance has been obliterated by the oppressive truth. This is next to impossible. Not only is it impossible but I am sitting here faced with the kind of decisions that no one should have to make. Do I go with out meat or fruit this week? Do I buy cabbage for stew, or bananas for breakfast? No American should have to ponder these questions.

Let's take a look at some of the rules of the Congressional Food Stamp Challenge. First rule of note is you spend only $21 dollars on food all week. I'm going to blow all that from the get go. Buy in bulk, I say. Second rule is you can only eat food purchased for the week. No stocking up on tons of chips and salsa before the week begins. Looks tough, but there is a loop hole; I quote: "Do not eat food that you already own (this does not include spices and condiments)." Those three words in italics will be my saving grace and I plan on exploiting them. I have a ton of ways of making the dull into something more than. I can't decide if this applies to olive and corn oil though.

My culinary scruples aside, I want to say that this food stamp program makes no sense. It should be retitled the "The Just-Barely Starving Program." Look at these guidelines, paying particular attention to numbers 9 and 24. It's some eye popping stuff. In 2004 the average allotment was $86 per month. That's about $2.87 cents a day. And they spend about $2.1 billion a month on these programs. We spend $12 billion a month in our current wars. I'm no bleeding heart liberal, nor am I a universal pacifist, but can't we increase the allotment enough so people can buy some apples for their kids? 33% more and I could through in a bag of fresh fruit, some canned tomatoes and pasta.

Today I woke up with coffee and donuts and then I dropped a few bucks with a friend to make guacamole and wash it down with suds.

Alright y'all "Keep Ya Head Up."

Starting Balance: -$57.50

In: $10

Out:
Coffee and donuts: $3.25
Beer and avocados: $4

Balance -$54.75

No comments: