Thursday, July 5, 2007

The Siren Call of the Grocery Store

Last night after my bitch fest I went to a friend's house for a 4th party. I got to watch fireworks from a Manhattan roof. My first time. A nice way to ring in the 231st birthday of our nation. I split cab fare home, so that cost me $5. But it was worth it. The subway can be a drag. And no doubt the 6 would be teaming with sleepy eyed parents and their cranky progeny. When I got out of the cab there were lots of loud bangs in my neighborhood. In East Harlem, you rarely think of fireworks first. But that's what it was. They were shooting rockets off in the middle of East 115th St which was great. The whole block was covered in red and green light to the delight of los ninos. Man, I love El Barrio.

Meanwhile, tie me to the center poll of the bus and let me gaze longingly on the weekly specials, for the Associated Supermarket serenades me and my will is weak. As I mentioned in my whiny fit yesterday, it is the dwindling groceries that make this man feel poor. Like an stranded islander counting out his rations, my hope shrinks with my foodstuffs.

So alas I ventured into the grocery store to make some purchase. Sausages were on special, a pound for $2 and I've got a recipe from Giada that's so good you'd think I watch the show for the food. So I picked the ingredients up for that and got a bag of oranges to snack on. In the meantime I whipped up the delicious southern delicacy of salmon croquettes ala Paula Dean, 'with just uh pat o' buhtuh.' You can trust Paula Dean. Just look at her; you know that woman can cook. Keep this in mind people, never trust a skinny cook. Except me. You can trust me.

Needless to say, I'm going to cook big this weekend and have a plethora of eats for the coming week. I won't be skinny for long.

So here's a two day break down because I skipped yesterday.

STARTING BALANCE: -$6.50

IN $20

OUT
Cab fare: $5
Groceries: $14.50

BALANCE: -$6.00

No comments: