Sunday, July 22, 2007

The Long Sunday, the Short Monday

I woke up Sunday ready to buy groceries. I collected my materials for the week, a list and a fist full of plastic credit card and a shred of hope. After looking around the grocery store some and searching for deals, (like a buying a bag of potatoes was cheaper than buying by the pound), I got enough food to make about 6 dishes to keep me going throughout the week.

All told I spent $16.50 and later I bought some ketchup for $1.50, because condiments don't count. Now while I spent $16.50, I still have blown all my food stamp budget, because I had things like butter, garlic, and dried red beans at home. Those added up to about 3.50 leaving me a dollar to spend on bananas. Which I did this morning in the rain.

The first meal was egg-in-the-hole or hobo sandwiches, which doesn't necessarily feel appropriate given the nature of the experiment. Recipe is simple. Tear out a hole from a slice of Home Pride Wheat Bread, throw some butter in a pan, in goes the bread, crack an egg in the hole, fry both sides about 3 minutes and boom, egg in the hole. Feel free to add salt and pepper. It's idiotically simple but consistently satisfying. Go figure.

Lunch yesterday (and today) was fried rice. I spiced it up with curry and cayenne, I like a little heat. Then dinner last night, (and tonight) was potato pancakes. Which didn't turn out so hot. My recipe needs some work. I may try it again later in the week. I did go through 2/3rds of my egg supply in the first day. This morning I had a peanut butter sandwich for breakfast. No honey or jelly. Couldn't afford it. Sucks.

Now unfortunately I have to admit I'm a cheater. I've only being doing it two days and since I'm not a congressman, I'll tell you all the ways I cheated.
1) As I said, I bought some of the food before this week.
2) I finished off the guacamole from Saturday night. This shows a lack of discipline, true, but I don't expect the guac to last a week, didn't feel like freezing it, and letting food go to waste is worse than breaking a rule in this experience. I took the tasty stuff and some chips with me when I went to see Brazilian Girls at Summer Stage. There I shared it with a friend.
3) I had a beer last night. Doh. That one I feel genuinely bad about, but I'll make up for it by not having another all week.
4) I'm drinking the office coffee. I've realized lately that I don't feel right if I don't have coffee in the morning. Instant coffee didn't fit the budget, I lack a coffeemaker.

Looking around, I found a woman who did this project and did a really good job with it, her blog is called "What's in Rebecca's Pocket". Her budget was higher, and she's a vegetarian, that makes this whole thing much easier, oh and she was cooking for two, thrift in numbers, you know. Not to belittle it. She even was able to provide an alcoholic beverage for each dinner. And though that is a surprising, and I dare say, impressive treat, you can't buy booze with food stamps.

I also went out and bought some aluminum foil and cling wrap today. It was time.

Let's do the breakdown.

Sunday July 22

Starting Balance: -$54.75

In: $10

Out:
Groceries: $16.50
Ketchup: $1.50

Monday July 23

Starting balance: -$62.75

In: $10

Out:
Foil & cling wrap: $3.50

Balance: -$56.25


No comments: