Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Reclining on a blanket in Central Park, New York City, New York.

Over my head, I see the bronze fireworks
alive in the night sky,
bursting like the golden crescendo
of the horns against high rises.
The wine bottles follow one another
into the distances of empty.
To my right
the Philharmonic from a speaker stack.
The intermissions are full of silence
and the actual concert sounds like
the intermission.
I lean back, as the evening darkens and comes on.
A red-tailed hawk plucks pigeons from the sky.
I have wasted my life.

Got invited to Central Park for a picnic and the Philharmonic. Couldn't come empty handed so I had to buy Duane Reade Dorritos and Pringles. But what's this in my wallet? $5 off Duane Reade coupon. Good saving. But then I bought a beer.

DAILY BREAKDOWN,

Start Balance: -$76.50

In: $10

Out:
Soap: $1.25
Chips: $1.50
Beer at the park, plus tip: $5

Balance: -$74.25

This post was stolen from poet James Wright. Check him out.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

nice verse. i'm definitely going to use that "wine bottles follow one another into the distances of empty."

central park!? lucky. even if you're on $10 a day. i miss new york.