Thursday, July 19, 2007

A New Deal, Spread the Word

Because my sanity is still intact, because my misery still has a few gaps that need filling, and because I am way down in the hole with this little project of mine, I have hatched a new brand of crazy for you all.

This is a little ditty I like to call "The Congressional Food Stamp Challenge." Back in May a few Congressman decided to "slum it" in a pretty literal sense by limiting their food budget for a week to $3 a day, the food stamp allowance. I am wincing as I write this. So, starting next Monday, July 23rd I will be attempting this startling feat. Please take a look at the rules. This looks brutal. But what I like about it is it solves my debt problem by bumping me $50 closer to the zero mark and it raises a little bit of awareness about the life of the poor. I'm going to have a poor week to get a rich conscience. I've been scanning some congressional blogs and I think I can do a little better than they do with this thing. Meaning, I won't be eating sliders from White Castle. So, people, it looks like I may just drop off the face of the planet as well as a few pounds.

I can only hope that my more liberal friends will help me celebrate my completion of this feat by introducing me to copious amounts of free booze. I'll plan this weekend and begin on Monday. Wish me luck.

I've been getting lots of good feedback on the blog, but I still want to increase my readership, so if it crosses your mind, mention the site to a friend. "But how will I bring it up in conversation?" you ask. Well, maybe this sample dialog will help you spread the word.

Them: "Man, did you see Bill Gates has like a zillion dollars?"
You: "I know! How much does a guy need? I know this one guy who is living on $10 a day, in New York of all places. He's got an awesome blog."

Them: "Man, did you see Nicole Richie was pregnant."
You: "I know! I shot milk out my nose reading Perez Hilton's comments about her. Funny though he is, this "Gotham Frugal" guy is way funnier. I shot a whole donut out my nose laughing at his blog."

Them: "Man have you seen my keys? I'm so wasted."
You: "I know! I'm wasted too. Man, The Gotham Frugal rocks."

My blog has come to the attention of Google, meaning if you google "Gotham Frugal" it will show up. The same is true for "frugal gotham." Thanks for spreading the word, and thanks for reading.

Bra-bra-bra-BREAKDOWN

Starting Balance: -$73.25

In: $10

Out:
Shampoo: $4.25

Balance: -$67.50

No comments: